Wednesday, April 21, 2010

STYLISH TRAVELS: INTERIOR DESIGNER CHAD GRACI SHOPS NEW ORLEANS

The dapper Chad Graci, my friend that I met while working at David Easton, recently returned home to New Orleans. After working at David Easton, he went on to join Bill Sofield, and from there, returned to the civilized lifestyle he grew up in. I have not been to the amazing city, but knew Chad could report back with some insider NE finds. Alas, he reveals his trade secrets here:

Kevin Gillentine Gallery/Custom Framing
I love Kevin’s paintings. They are soft, surreal and intelligent. Always done with a masterful hand and eye for beauty. Kevin and his partner Vincent share the chic, simple straightforward gallery. Kevin displays his art, while Vincent provides New Orleans with the best selection and quality of hand-carved frames I’ve seen since the House of Hydenryck in New York City.

3917-3919 Magazine Street
New Orleans, LA 70115
504 891 0509
www.kevingillentine.com

A modern print with beautiful matting

Kevin Stone Antiques
Kevin Stone is my go to guy for the statement piece. Big, bold, eye catching pieces from the 17th-19th centuries make this shop a treasure trove of inspiration. So many diverse objects have found their way into Kevin’s lair.
3420 Magazine Street
New Orleans, la 70115
504 891 8282
www.kevinstoneantiques.com

My favorite thing right now is this 19TH C FRENCH LOUIS XVI EXTENTION DINING TABLE with a painted and parcel gilt base. The perfect dining table for any sized dinner party!


NOLA Rugs
When I first moved to New Orleans from New York City I was worried that I wouldn’t find a vendor for both custom and antique rugs that had a similar selection as those from New York. Luckily, Nola Rugs has just the select inventory that I needed to bring a little NYC style to NOLA. I’m crazy about their antiques. The selections are always the right on and the colors are just the ones you want-Think washed out orangey peaches, with hints of gray green and rust. The owner, Sharon, travels the world searching for these spectacular rugs. Luckily, they’re now just around the corner!
3944 Magazine Street
New Orleans, La 70115
504.891.3304
www.nolarugs.com



Leonel’s Fine upholstery
Ah Leonel’s…what can I say? Finally, there is a place in New Orleans that can satisfy my obsession with upholstery details. I love working with Leonel Jr. and his father. They can help you out of a time crunch and turn around a well done custom sofa in a week’s time if need be. A good upholsterer listens and is always open to trying something new. These guys fit the bill.

2843 Piedmont St. Kenner, LA 70062
Phone: (504) 469-0889
www.leonels.com




Chad out shopping, looking ever so dapper, natch.




MAC Maison
Mac Maison (Michael Carbine’s chic enclave) is the one stop shop on Magazine Street for the most unique continental furniture and accessories with that special rich patina that everyone wants. Interesting, important paintings mixed with one of a kind finds and rare architectural elements make Mac Maison my favorite shop. I can always find something here.

3963 Magazine Street
New Orleans, LA 70115
www.macmaisonltd.1stdibs.com/
504.891.2863


Antique sconces

Stone Urns that would look good in a small city garden.

Thank you for your picks Chad!

Do you live in a town with great design shopping? From amazing finds, fashion and home shops to cafes email me and let me know!

No comments: