Thursday, February 20, 2014

I RIDE WITH PRIDE: FIGHT CANCER, SUPPORT MY CYCLE FOR SURVIVAL FUNDRAISING RIDE!


Rob Lowe shares how cancer has touched his family

Funny man Seth Meyers, an early adapter for the cause

You may have seen commercials for it on NBC, or heard celebs like Rob Lowe and Seth Myers talk about it. With just one week to go till my annual Cycle For Survival team cycling fundraiser on March 3rd, I am starting to get excited about what always turns out to be my favorite day of the year. The reason for this is twofold: I love the energy of cycling in sync with over 200 people, including those battling cancer and the doctors doing the rare cancer medical research, and I love the feeling of giving back to a charity that I so believe in,  Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center.  The momentum of the day makes everything else pale in comparison.
Few things feel as great as doing for others, especially when it relates to finding a cure for a disease that has affected almost everyone at some point or another. The funds directly into research, with over 80 specific clinical trials benefiting thus far. In its 7th year, my 3rd ride, I have started a new team to honor a friend, and hope you will support my ride for Team Amy's Amigos. I also ride for my father, who lost his battle with cancer, and was a patient at Memorial.  The ability to participate in a fundraiser that involves indoor cycling, which I love, and the perfect mix of music, sections led by fantastic Equinox cycling instructors and charity makes the day amazingly memorable.   Just today, I was asked if I would speak again this year, to kick-off the start of my New York City ride, the final event that closes out the 13-city tour that has had over 16,000 participants. Giddy with excitement and pleased that my team tank tops were ordered, I gave them a resounding "yes!" as my answer. Having set my fundraising sights high this year, I am at $4000 raised so far from generous givers, and would love to beat last year's maximum by raising over $7,000. Who's up for the challenge to help others survive and thrive? Sending my thanks with love and gratitude.

Turning and burning on the best day of the year!

No comments: