Wednesday, February 2, 2011

GIFT SHOW GREAT: HAVE YOU MET MR. BROWN?

Mr. Brown is a new line from British furniture designer Julian Chichester. It has a youthful spirit mixed with an elegant, refined sensibility. They call it "English informality for a modern life," and take classic forms of furniture, scale it to fit in smaller settings, offer light wood finishes and fun details. I call it full of pizazz. Visit Julian, David and Natalie at Pier 94 Booth 47008

A tight back chair with button tufting and contrast trim is perfection.

Who would have thought a shell console could look this young and chic?

A new take on a classic wing back-- in wood. Americana meets cool Britannia.
I sense some Biedermeier influence. A good thing.

Got books? Get bookshelf.

A darling settee with a curved back is a grown up piece worth owning.

A curvy front chest adds visual interest and momentum to break up hard lines.
Another great wing chair, this time upholstered with a nice small arm.

A remake of a classic console, the white painted finish gives it some zing.

I love this side chair, with its feminine bowed arm and sway in the back, it would work in a hall or a living room seating arrangement.

The Klismos makes a comeback. A sit-able scale and powder blue velvet upholstery are fresh not fussy.

9 comments:

Hamptontoes said...

Marisa,
I did meet Mr. Brown and was impressed! I did a post about them as well, and featured some of what caught your eye. Excellent review.

The enchanted home said...

Glad to have found your blog...we seem to like many of the same things. I featured Audrey Sterk on my blog yesterday and may be using her for a chinoiserie panel in a dining room...she is a lovely person and very talented. Nice highlights from the show.
Glad to have found your blog...just started my own about the building of our dream home and my love for great design/decor. Please come by and visit..
www.theenchantedhome.blogspot.com

SHERRY HART said...

I saw this at the Atlanta show and I was so in love with the Osborne and Little wallpaper they used! I do love the line!

quintessence said...

Charming! Especially love the settee and curvy chest!

Jennifer @ Belclaire House said...

I love the klismos chair in the powder blue velvet! It reminds me of these chairs: http://belclairehouse.blogspot.com/2011/01/i-think-about-these-chairs-often.html

Thanks for sharing!

mary said...

I love Mr. Brown. Super scale and antique references, but not stuffy.

kevin Isbell said...

Marisa your coverage of NYIGF has been really great! I think I will sit it out next time and just wait for your updates as we like a lot of the same vendors.

Anxiety Cause said...

Lovely furnitures and chair pieces!!

peggy braswell said...

NYIGF is wonderful..love being able to see thru your wonderful eye while sitting at my computer.
Having my first blog give away..come on down! xxpeggybraswelldesign.com