Wednesday, February 6, 2013

HELP FIGHT CANCER: SUPPORT MY CYCLE FOR SURVIVAL RIDE FOR MEMORIAL SLOAN KETTERING CANCER CENTER

When it comes to fundraising and charity contributions, there are a few that I have always been loyal to. For design, there is the annual spring showhouse that supports the  Kips Bay Boys and Girls Club, the Upper East Side's Lenox Hill Neighborhood House, DIFFA Dining by Design Event in March, Housing Works Design on a Dime shopping event in April and Alpha Workshops cool wallpapers made by those living with HIV. I love these charities and the beyond amazing work they do.
Then I found something that I could really make a difference with that had affected my family. And plenty of those I know. Cancer.

The swag for raising the big bucks

 To give you an idea of how amazing the event is,  that's Seth Myers Wheeling for Healing at my location last year. He's a big supporter. And by the way,  the team that raises the most money between now and Friday, February 8th at midnight EST*wins a pair of tickets to Saturday Night Live. If you give big, I am taking you with me. True story.

Last year, a friend of mine from spin class invited me to join his team in a cycling relay called Cycle For Survival. Why Do I Cycle? I cycle with pride to honor my Dad who battled cancer. I cycle for the care providers, those suffering, and those that need hope. Cycle for Survival is a way for me to fight back. Held at Equinox (the entire gym is taken over by spin bikes), the CFS event raises money to research rare cancers and benefits Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center. 100% of the donations directly fund rare cancer research, so every little bit counts. Last year's event was such an amazing experience, I have been looking forward to my second year since the event ended. 
With a month to go, I thought the timing was right to share my fundraising efforts with you. I am riding on March 3rd in honor of my Dad in my 2nd Cycle for Survival event. My father was a patient of Dr. Posner at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, for brain cancer. What they do to help patients and their level of care is just incredible. Helping the hospital and supporting their research gives me such pride. So i ride this March 3rd for my Dad, so others are able to survive and thrive.
Thanks to your incredible support, I have raised over $2000 for my team, Gear Up 2 Fight Cancer. This year, I am really kicking things up a notch, and am upping the ante with an $8000 ask. There are teams that have raised well over $100,000, so I am fired up. Sadly, almost all of us know someone whose life has been affected by cancer, so lets keep the groundbreaking research going. You can give HERE.  And forward this along to those that might want to also give.
Together we can make a difference, so thank you for all of your support and go team.

No comments: