Monday, November 21, 2011

CRAVING SUMMER: NANTUCKET LANDSCAPES

With the weather turning brisk, I often get to thinking of my favorite summer locales. These are the times when I yearn for longer days with sunlight, green leaves on the trees, flowers in bloom, and one of my favorite spots, Nantucket. It may be just 30 miles out to sea, but it is a destination like no other. The Grey Lady has a special place in many peoples heart's, for it's remote setting and tranquil beauty. It has a place in my heart, since going there as a child I have fond memories of driving our hunter green Wagoneer to Great Point, preparing picnic lunches with Portugese Bread from The Nantucket Bake Shop, making pottery at the Artist's Association, and eating Bluefish Pate at Straight Warf.
I love Nantucket just as much today, and am happy to say one of the great living landmarks still exists. The Nantucket Looms, an extremely special shop with artwork and items for home, is owned and run by the amazing Liz Winship. It was started in 1968, and is best known for divine loomed, handwoven brushed Mohair throws. I remember would go in there from time to time when in town, and I would wander around and look at the now iconic oil paintings of boats with red sails. My sister worked there summers in college. To this day, I still cover one of those Robert Stark Herrishoff paintings, with the magical play of light and shadow, expanse of sea and sky. I know I can go to see Liz if I feel like having a peek, or checking out the work of any of the 50 artisans she carries at The Looms. A few years back they moved to a new location, and can be found at 51 Main Street. Stop in and visit if you are there, and marvel at the world Liz has created.

Known for her ability to capture houses, landscapes and seascapes in a bold, realistic way, Nantucket Islander Joan Albaugh captures the magic hour at dusk.

A red barn contrasts with the dramatic blue sky in a Joan Albaugh from her starkly beautiful Houses series.

A desolate yet beautiful view of a marsh pond in a painting by Jill Coolidge.

A lone Herreshoff sails off in a painting by Robert Stark, Jr.

2 comments:

Taylor Greenwalt said...

Wow, i love the first two pictures. I have always been attracted to barn landscapes. The bottom two remind me of the Santa Barbara, California Artist.

CarterandRose said...

I love these pictures, I think my best holidays ever have been in Nantucket