Friday, December 7, 2012

HIGHLY GIFTED: SALLY HORCHOW'S TOP 10 GIFT GUIDE PICKS

 When I learned that Sally Horchow, the styish gal about LA,  was filling the role of Lifestyle Director at Horchow, the company her father founded over 40 years ago, I knew I had to reach out to her about her new gig. With a penchant for things like gift wrap closets and stylish entertaining at home, her return to  the company her family founded is news.  She started the lifestyle blog, Very Good Looking based on her mother's favorite expression to describe something she felt was stylish, and has earned a following for her candid, fun and approachable video advice and tips. Here, Horchow shares her thoughts on her new appointment, what she brings to the party, and her top 10 gift suggestions for the holidays.

After working to establish yourself as a lifestyle expert, what prompted you to join Horchow? 
I was approached by two executives who knew me through my blog, verygoodlooking.com, and the “Art of Friendship” book I co-authored with my dad. They were looking for someone who could represent the brand to its customers.

Did you want to explore other things before joining your family at Horchow?
My father hasn’t been very involved in the company since the late ‘80s, when it was acquired by the Neiman Marcus Group. That was part of the appeal to me – to come full circle and engage with the company he founded.

My background as a lifestyle journalist gave me a perspective on the way people live and decorate and entertain today. But my parents also have had a profound effect on my design sensibilities. I grew up surrounded by their extraordinary taste in everything from furniture and to art, and I still try achieve a style that would earn my mother’s ultimate accolade: “That is very good- looking.”

What do you bring to the table that was missing?
When someone new joins the conversation, that new perspective helps everyone see things in a different way. I hope I bring a fresh point of view to our furniture and accessories mix, and I bring my personal love of entertaining with a casual-chic look and feel.

As a voice of the brand what are you most excited about? What big plans are in store?
2013 is Horchow’s 40th anniversary, so we’ll be celebrating with some special events and looking back to the days when my father started the company. In fact, I’m interviewing him for a video about how he found some of the amazing items that were featured in the Horchow catalogs in the 1970s and ‘80s.
Also, like anyone approaching “the big 4-0,” we decided to give ourselves a little makeover – with a new collection called Horchow Now. It’s furniture with classic lines in versatile colors, layered with new accessories from boho to edgy to updated traditional. Easy to use, easy to live with, and easy on the budget.

What is your favorite thing about Horchow today?
The variety of styles. So many sites offer one look, but very few people like only one look – they respond to lots of colors and patterns and styles. It’s like fashion: most people mix designers to create their own unique look. They like to do the same thing to create a unique home.

What are your top 10 fail - safe holiday gifts?

 1.  Monogrammed cocktail napkins. Crisp linen adds panache

 2.  Coffee table books, this Vogue tome is a favorite

3.  Wine with personalized tag. These animal prints are fun

4.  Frames with a personal photo included in it, I love these by Ralph Lauren

5.  Travel Organizer accessories to recharge in style

 7.  Champagne flutes – like these Kate Spade Say The Word ones

8.  Beautiful candlesticks – like these 3 Ursula Candlesticks

9.   Swing Design Lacquer trays  and boxes

 10. Pretty Throws from Ann Gish


No comments: