Thursday, March 4, 2010

BEHIND THE SCENES: KATIE RIDDER'S KIPS BAY ROOM

Kips Bay is taking shape, so spring is not far off! I decided to get the scoop from master colorist Katie Ridder, who is doing a hallway this year. She generously shared her color scheme and inspiration with me. Katie is sitting in one of her color-filled interiors, surrounded by vibrant pillows that match her sweater's trim. Her fashion sense and interiors often go hand in hand, as she tends towards brights in her wardrobe as well. Her new collection of wallpapers and fabrics capture a certain joie de vivre, and will grace her space in the showhouse.



The Scheme- A sophisticated color palette used in unexpected ways
She explains her design process-- "I have an affinity for things Moorish. My wallpaper, Moonflower, I hope is not identifiable in terms of Turkish, Moroccan, Japanese but it has an exotic bent to it. I've always been drawn to crescent moons - I have one in almost all of my wallpapers and fabrics.The colors are coral and mole gray on a natural linen. I wanted my little hallway to stand out so I am painting the trim a deep gray/brown and the ceiling coral. I’m going to paint all the trim very dark and then use my Moonflower fabric upholstered on the walls placing mirrors over the 3 doors.The gold chip is the finish on the pair of lamps and the trim will be a lampshade detail. I wanted fancy, sparkly light fixtures to accentuate the space. I am using a pair of console tables with gold Spitzmiller lamps and pagoda-like shades trimmed in coral rick rack with coral lining, with the corners turned up to see the lining. I was going for elegance and a little drama."

The goods-

A pair of tables on which the spitzmiller lamps will sit. The George III mahogany side tables are from Michael Pashby Antiques.




A set of 3 circa 1940s Beaded Crystal Light Fixtures from Carlos de la Puente

1 comment:

Penelope Bianchi said...

Completely brilliant!

I think Katie had a store on Madison(?) It was divine!

Her taste is wonderful. Thanks for the catch-up for me on the West Coast!

Planning to come to NYC; just as soon as you guys are through with the blizzards!

In Santa Barbara; when it rains.......standstill!

I especially LOVE those light fixtures. So current. and born in the 40's when I was!

Bravo Katie! Bravo Marisa!!!